30 simple gratitude journal prompts for beginners
Want to start a gratitude journal this year but don’t know where to start? Check out these simple gratitude journal prompts to help get you started.
Many years ago, when I first started gratitude journaling, I was going through one of the most challenging seasons of my life. I was discouraged, stressed out, and just overwhelmed. Something had to change.
I knew I needed to shift my perspective from focusing on what was going wrong to focusing on all the good in my life. In addition to scripture writing, I started gratitude journaling.
In the beginning, it was hard to come up with something new each day to write about. After a while, I started noticing I was simply repeating myself.
Can you relate?
If so, these gratitude journal prompts will help you get a jump start on your gratitude practice. Before you know it, you will be able to make gratitude a regular part of your life.
- Where did you see God in your life today?
- What are you learning about yourself this season?
- What is one thing you love about yourself?
- What talents or gifts you are grateful you have?
- Write about a lesson you are grateful you learned.
- Name one prayer you have seen God answer lately.
- List three people who have had a positive impact on your life.
- What is one thing in your home that brings you joy?
- Recall a time someone encouraged you when you needed it.
- What about your body are you grateful for?
- Write about a family member you are grateful for.
- List three ways you notice the beauty of God around you today.
- What made you laugh today?
- List three people you are grateful to have in your life and why.
- What are you grateful for in this season?
- Write about a happy memory.
- Name something you like about yourself. Why?
- What do you enjoy most about your job?
- What praise and worship song are you grateful for?
- What are you most grateful for from your childhood?
- Something that bought you joy today.
- Choose a picture from your phone. Why are you grateful for this moment?
- Write about a life experience that has had a positive impact on your life.
- What made you smile today?
- Share a quote that inspires you.
- Write about a tradition you love.
- What was the best part of your day?
- Where in life could you be more grateful?
- Write three ways you can show kindness to others this week.
- What experience were you most grateful for this month?
Want to take this list on the go? No worries. You can download a copy here for FREE! You read that right, friend.
Once you download the gratitude journal prompts put it in your planner or tape it on the inside of our Do Less, Live More: A Gratitude Journal. Either way, put our list somewhere you can reflect on the list daily.
Plus, this list makes for excellent dinnertime conversation with your family. You can make focusing on gratitude a new family tradition.
How are you focusing on gratitude?
Shop our gratitude products
Do Less, Live More: A Gratitude Journal (book)Product on sale
Gratitude Journal Planner InsertsProduct on sale
I really like the prompt about “what are you learning about yourself?” So important to reflect and process and hopefully learn from ourselves!
Life With Sonia
LOVE LOVE LOVE this – Write three ways you can show kindness to others this week. It is important to remember show kindness to others.
Mamie L. PackLife With Sonia
Thank you Sonos! Showing kindness is important.
Thanks for the ideas about the prompts! Gratitude can transform negative perspective into positive energy immediately. It’s helpful to make people grateful. A person full of joy is influential who can spread out the love and positive energy upon others.
Mamie L. PackCathy
I completely agree Cathy!
These questions are so good and I will definitely be asking these daily gratitude prompts of myself and those around me. Thank you for helping me get started. I know that meditating on the goodness of God will help me see His blessings more clearly each day.
Mamie L. PackLily
Thank you Lily! Sometimes have some gratitude journal prompts ahead of time can help a lot.
Amazing prompts in such a time where we can all stop and just be grateful!
Mamie L. PackAva James
Love, love, love this! Thank you for sharing. I mentor a group of teenage girls and am always looking for great prompts to start our time together! I printed these out and will use them with my girls!
Mamie L. PackCarla
I enjoy mentoring as well Carla! Thanks for reading.
Such a great resource to have! I love all the prompts you shared. These are great ways to get started learning to be more thankful for all we have. And as we focus on gratitude, we will find joy and peace.
Mamie, great resource! Gratitude really does shift our perspective. Thanks!
Great resource! Thank you for such a great way to keep our gratitude journals from being repetitive. Love the prompts! Blessings! 💗
Mamie L. PackTeresa
Mamie, this fits so well with what seems to be the theme of God’s message in my life right now. In reading this article about simple gratitude prompts, I realized that practicing gratitude can help us in encouraging others. It leads to encouragement of others, is what I mean to say.
Mamie L. PackTeresa
Thanks so much Teresa! Practicing gratitude has so many benefits
Such great tips! I am brand new to journaling so this really helps!
Mamie L. PackEvangeline Samuel
These are some great journal prompts to help you get started.
These are great journal prompts and quite thoughtful of you to share.
Mamie L. PackBetty
Thank you Betty!
Gratitude is so beneficial to us. when we begin to see just how very much we have and stop focusing on what we think we don’t have, life becomes so much sweeter. What a tremendous resource, the gratitude prompts. Thank you!!
Mamie L. PackPam Morrison
Absolutely Pam. Thanks for reading.
Such a great post and so helpful! I’m going to print these out and use them with my family. Thanks!!
Mamie L. PackKari
Yay! The printable is good for any season or month.
Love this, Mamie! Thank you so much for sharing! Gratitude makes us remember that we are indeed rich. God bless you!
Mamie L. PackSheryl Mendoza
Thanks for reading Sheryl.
Oh, I can’t wait to start using these journal prompts. What a great idea! I love writing down the things I’m thankful for, but sometimes I get stuck in a rut.
Mamie L. Packsavoringeachmoment6cd0664a71
Thank you. Hope you enjoy!
Thank you so much for these gratitude prompts! I will apply them one a day!
Mamie L. PackKaren
I absolutely love gratitude!
Mamie L. PackMariah
It is so good for our hearts and minds.